Monday, September 29, 2008

Dust

I am waiting for the bats to rest
I am waiting for the sky to break
I am waiting to cool my blood

there've been no storms
nor even any mackerel to lead them
the world is dust
my skin is a dust skin and my hands
are friction conjurers drawing
a cloak of it over me.

I keep two fingers there
and one hand open to the sky
I am trying to keep track
I am trying to notice
the dust near liquid in my easy veins
my heart that pumps a splitting fist of it through.

Fine so fine now I breath it in.
Dust the velvet on my orphan lungs
dust held, dust cared for and
dust, the fire I spit to the sky
a carnival of dust rising and drawing attention

dust seeding the clouds
particles of dust raising their own armies against me
and falling, stripping the cloak from my back,
wearing my skin muddy to the ground
leaving me stretch-eyed and smiling
and clean
so clean.

No comments: